Sunday, June 7, 2009

Blood Run, First Steps, and a Walk on Mars

Yesterday was an eventful day. Bright and early we headed down to Highland for the Blood Run 5k for Hemophilia. We don't know a single person with Hemophilia, but this was to help motivate us to do some running for the past few weeks to get ready (I did this 5k when Robbie was a baby, too--it's becoming a trying-to-loose-that-baby-weight tradition). Indulge me while I say I'm really proud of us! I beat my best time by two minutes (I won't reveal what that time was since it is by no means impressive) and Nate came in 12th for his age group while pushing two kids in a stroller (and having to stop a few times along the way to dole out cheerios to unhappy children). And get this, we won a night's stay at the Homestead in the raffel drawing. I'd say we got our money's worth in this race. Ari must have been inspired by the race because she took about four steps together just after we got home (she's been taking single steps here and there for a few weeks now). Of course she wouldn't do it again after I broke out the camera, so I have no picture or movie to prove it.

We topped off the day by taking a walk on Mars at the Clark Planetarium.



4 comments:

Nicole said...

Yay! I'm glad you did the Hemophilia walk. I was supposed to, but ended up having to work instead. My mom's cousins have died from Hemophilia, so their remaining brother and sister always try and get involved in the foundations.

Andrea - said...

Congrats! That is awesome!

Lis said...

Congratulations to all the walkers and runners! MAYBE I'll join you one of these days! It's fun to think about anyway...I like the quote: "the will to win is nothing compared to the will to prepare." Good job!

Alyssa Rock said...

Very inspiring! I need to find something to motivate myself to exercise. :)